The Green Johanna is a top-performing hot composter that turns food waste - including cooked food, meat, fish and dairy - and garden waste into quality compost within months.
Recommended as a Best Buy in Gardeners’ World magazine and in Which? magazine, the Green Johanna is an enclosed unit with a perforated integrated base plate that allows access to worms and micro-organisms while deterring rodents. Made in the UK from 100% recycled plastic, it has a five-year guarantee and expected lifespan of 10 years or more.
- Secure twistable lid helps to regulate ventilation.
- Patented airflow system.
- Two secure sliding hatches mean finished compost is easy to access but won’t leak out before you need it.
- To maintain composting performance in cold weather and promote year-round hot composting temperatures the use of an Insulating Jacket is recommended. Green Johanna Insulating Jacket
- Best placed on a flat patch of soil or grass.
- One Johanna is designed to cope with the average food waste of a household of five and compostable waste from an average garden.
- In the first year it may take 6-8 months to get your first batch of compost. After that it should take 4-6 months.
- Aerating stick also supplied. Made from 100% recycled plastic (may differ from images on the website and elsewhere).
- Self-assembly (the base plate and four modular sections screw together).
- Modular sections mean that it’s possible to remove more compost by unscrewing sections if you wish. Also, if one section becomes damaged that section can simply be replaced.
- If bones are added to the Johanna they will not be broken down so it would be necessary to remove stripped-down bones from the finished compost. For this reason we do not recommend that bones are added.