The Insulating Jacket offers you more control over the temperature of the compost in your Green Johanna.
Add the jacket if:
- You want to raise the compost temperature to between 30 – 60 + degrees Celsius.
- In cold weather the outside temperature falls lower than 5 degrees Celsius (which could lead to the composting process stalling).
Remove the jacket if the compost temperature approaches 70 degrees Celsius as this will be too hot for the composting microbes to survive and the process will stall.
Made from foamed polyethylene.
Fitting the Insulating Jacket
The Insulating Jacket comprises three ring sections and a lid piece.
- Fit the bottom section first by pulling it down over the Johanna, leaving a gap so that the vents at the bottom of the composter are not covered.
- Then add the upper rings so that they overlap the section below by about 5cms. Ensure that the ventilation holes at the top of the composter remain uncovered. The ventilation holes at the top and bottom of the Johanna must not be covered or the ventilation system will not function.
- The lid piece fits on the inside of the Johanna’s lid. Peel off the adhesive backing and place the lid piece inside the inner circle on the underside of the lid (this should be a neat fit). Once fitted, the lid piece should not be removed.
The Insulating Jacket must be removed in order to get compost out of the Johanna.
Removing the Insulating Jacket
Remove the Johanna’s lid. Leave the lid insulation piece in place. Remove the ring sections in turn, starting with the top section.
Re-fit the jacket following the instructions above.