The Green Johanna is a top-performing hot composter that turns food waste - including cooked food, meat, fish and dairy - and garden waste into quality compost within months.
Regularly recommended as a Star Buy in Gardeners’ World magazine, the Green Johanna is an enclosed unit with a perforated integrated base plate that allows access to worms and micro-organisms while deterring rodents. Made in the UK from 100% recycled plastic, it has a five-year guarantee and expected lifespan of 10 years or more.
- Secure twistable lid helps to regulate ventilation.
- Patented airflow system.
- Two secure sliding hatches mean finished compost is easy to access but won’t leak out before you need it.
- To maintain composting performance in cold weather and promote year-round hot composting temperatures the use of an Insulating Jacket is recommended. Green Johanna Insulating Jacket
- Best placed on a flat patch of soil or grass.
- One Johanna is designed to cope with the average food waste of a household of five and compostable waste from an average garden.
- In the first year it may take 6-8 months to get your first batch of compost. After that it should take 4-6 months.
- Aerating stick also supplied. Made from 100% recycled plastic (may differ from images on the website and elsewhere).
If bones are added to the Johanna they will not be broken down so it would be necessary to remove stripped-down bones from the finished compost. For this reason we do not recommend that bones are added.